Jul 19, 2010

Making ME-Into a Godmother


I've read somewhere that the role of a Godmother is to provide additional guidance, to listen when a child's words fall on parents with deaf ears, to work with the parents to ensure a financial plan for the child and above all simply to love. These were very big shoes to fill and I'm not sure that it hit me until the ceremony how big of a role I would have in little Malachai's life.

Let's rewind a bit to hmmm 2003, ahh even as I type out the numbers I still can't believe how much time has passed. We were five friends who wanted to change the world, we had no intention of just fitting into some cookie-cutter mold that said who we should be. We wanted to take the world by storm and make of it what we wanted, I should add that we had no real vision of how we could/would accomplish such a task. We did have one thing that was on our side and that was talentwe were creative, inventors, business savvy, artists, and dreamers.

Combined I felt like we were untouchable at least that's when no one was fighting, and fighting we did  some would say like cats and dogs but I say like sisters. We were in every essence big girls behaving badly, myself included who managed to fight with just about everyone, no wait really everyone. There were times that I could swear we were never going to be able to find our humpty-dumpty glue and put us all back together again. With everyone out of college it seemed we were drifting further apart and while we were changing the world we certainly weren't doing it as we planned. Slowly we all started to come out of this fog and the glue that seemed certain it would never appear was found and individually we started to work on ourselves, putting all the pieces back together. I found myself, my goodness I found myself and I started to mend all the cracks over years that I had made and started to finally become the woman that I had always dreamed of.





B's and Andre's pregnancy was such a blessing and as we began to plan for Malachai's arrival you could see yet again the humpty-dumpty glue working and at his christening all was put back together again. During the ceremony I was so excited/happy/scared/nervous that I began to pray that I could be all the things I needed to be for Malachai. It wasn't until the celebration that I realized who we were so many years ago, we are today creative, inventors, business savvy, artists, and dreamers and while I was Malachai's Godmother we were all his village.



I read somewhere that it takes a village to raise a child. Our village wasn't a newly built complex on the end of a dead end street it was old, had been renovated, torn down, and now rebuilt. By being present we had all made a commitment that we would be just that his village, standing with him, behind him and beside him as he grew and matured.



Maybe we weren't Sex and the City, I surely didn't resemble Carrie but we are 5 friends who are fearless, sassy, and changing the world one villiage at a time.


2 comments:

  1. That was thoughtfully and beautifully written. It truly touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one, and I mean NO ONE, could have put it better than you Phebe. There is no doubt in my mind that you are going to make an OUTSTANDING Godmother. And feel blessed to have been apart of such a milestone in ALL of our lives.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011